Monday, December 11, 2017

From Richmond to Berlin

Saturday, December 9, 2017 

12:00pm: I'm packed and ready to go. 

12:30pm: My ride to the airport realizes he has lost his keys. 
1:30pm: I am finally on my way to BWI airport. 

5:22pm: I arrive at BWI early enough to sit and relax. I knit a little and talked to a lovely couple from Richmond who knew some of the same folks I do. Small, small world. 

8:00pm: The flight is delayed, but only about 30 minutes...for boarding. 
8:40pm: A vehicle breaks down behind the plane and needs to be towed. Another hour delay. 
9:40pm: Then, we are off. Into the air. I am a little worried at this point, because I know that I have to book it across London because silly me didn't realize my flight into London and my flight out were different airports. But I still have 3.5 hours to make that trek with this 1.5 hour delay.

December 10th, 2017

10:20am: We arrive in London...only to be delayed in the sky. We circle London five times before we are given the go ahead to land. Another hour behind schedule.  I'm down to 2.5 hours

11:20am: We finally land. There is no way I make it across town. Right? Well, right, because we can't get off the plane yet. They don't have a place for us to park the plane and unload. We are just sitting on the runway waiting for a spot. There are 12 other planes in front of us also waiting for a spot. Could be an hour. 

12:22pm: I'm finally off the plane. Heading to the customer service line with everyone else who missed their connections...

12:40am: I find that line. Behind around 300 other people. 

2:45pm: I make it to the desk. Only to be told that they aren't rebooking anyone else. All flights for the night are cancelled. The rebook desk is now only for booking hotels, courtesy of British Airlines. I was next in line. Luckily, the kind lady not only got me a hotel and meals, but also rebooked me for tomorrow at 12:45pm. The three earlier flights are all full. 

December 11th, 2017

11:01am: I should be in Berlin. But instead, I'm at Heathrow again. Come to find out, the three earlier flights - one was delayed and two were cancelled. Mine is still on time.  

12:45pm: I'm on the plane and finally headed to Berlin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment